Monday, December 30, 2019

Proper Tales Press 40th anniversary essay: Sarah Burgoyne


(F)(A)(N)(B)(O)(Y)(S)

For Stuart, and his press, on the occasion of neither his birthday nor his retirement, but to celebrate him alone or perhaps him and his generosity yet the two cannot be separated, so this.
 
After a course I attended on writers who happen to walk around (although one may argue most writers, if they are able, walk or have walked around or wandered about, or even sauntered or, if they are daring, frolicked in their lives) therefore on writers who both walk and write about it, as far as one can tell, in 2013, I mentioned a little essay I had written for said class to a certain Stuart Ross, whom, as soon as I mentioned it to him, the first time we ever met, in a little bar near the university, on Rue MacKay, I believe, over bière-sans-bulles, as if we were already friends, as though I, as a mere friend who’d come along to meet my friend’s friend (that being Stuart Ross), whom my friend admired very much, asked to read it, and to my great honour to then publish it, after of course, proper pondering,  with his press, Proper Tales Press, it being deemed a “proper tale,” or at least not an improper one, and it, upon reminiscence, feeling also like the publication of our friendship, which would endlessly go on, which is the true gift of Stuart--endlessness in friendship--friendship being a word which takes its root in “love” (-pri) which is associated also with freedom, as in to be free to choose someone, to prefer them, to experience a friendship with them, one, perhaps, full of mentorship and kindness and many cups of tea, living room readings, wedding attendances, and the writing of collaborative poems under the dim infected light of Montreal’s once famous dive bars, the published “it” being not only this, then, though “this” is in no way an “only”, but in this case manifesting as a long poemish thing (which is my definition of friendship) called Happy Dog Sad Dog. Because it was long for a poem-of-mine, and I’d never quite written a thing-poem (what one might call a thoem, a thoem being then again what friendship is) that long before, even if I had a sense of where it was going, and where I was going, in fact, since it was constructed of seven walks all starting from my home near Lafontaine Park, I needed it to be propelled by language, and so I established four constraints: I used nearly all conjunctions and conjunction phrases in the English language, and in every chapter (after the first introductory one) I mentioned a dog, inserted, where I could, les faibles doses de français, and a Montreal street name or landmark (like the Kondiaronk Belvedere), “Kondiaronk” being still a word unbeknownst to most who gather there, as I may, this upcoming New Year’s Eve, sadly sans Stuart, though Kondiaronk was once chief of the Hurons, and indeed meant to be known as more than a few slabs of loose rock holding up some orange cones. As long as I am on it, I may mention that these “dogs,” as much as I didn’t intend them to be, became a motif of mine, which, as soon as I noticed this, that is this motif of dogs across my work, dogs being uncannily the champions of friendship, began cropping up in poems that referenced me, which I am honoured to admit exist now, in at least two books, notably in the latest books of both poets Stuart Ross and Hugh Thomas, whose recent reading in Montreal, in a bedazzled loft on rue Jean-Talon, I attended, and before which I did not realize how much we all love dogs, or at least, I might say, how dogs, in our work, have become symbols of friendship, even if I’ve never had one (one being a “dog” friend in this case) for longer than three months, and even though the end of those three blissful months full of tossings of sticks, chasings of deer, struggle-washings, and buckets of bacon (I worked in a kitchen which produced many unethical leftovers) resulted in my poor pup being tiré dans la tête, that is, shot in the head, (unbeknownst to me before the deed was done, I might add), the whole tale of this being most likely improper in the context of this short essay, and rather than I tell it, may I turn your attention instead to living dogs, so long as dogs “live” in “eternal lines to time”, as the beloved tend to do, and the wondrous friendship and symbolic value they provide, especially among poet-friends, and to the following two lines, heard that night on Jean-Talon, about living poetical dogs from Stuart’s poem “Considerably Sarah” and Hugh’s poem “Unofficial Translation, for Sarah Burgoyne”:

The sun, wriggling around in the red sky, is only a small dog. Such a small dog with so many eyebrows.

Only what freezes is called water. / Goodbye is a direction / to which dogs sing the best songs.

These lines that both Stuart Ross and Hugh Thomas read from Motel of the Opposable Thumbs and Maze, respectively, so thoroughly delighted me (when I wrote “embarrassed” I replaced it with “delighted” since this was the nature of my embarrassment—a word which originally meant “to hamper”—a good hampering being the fate of most writers at certain points in their careers, though in my case, the wealth of English conjunctions, and in this case, the realization of the dog motif or puppy pattern, and namely, my admiration for Stuart, or how this pattern of dogs is in fact simply an illustration of friendship, has had a rather “unhampering” effect on my short essay in honour of Stuart Ross--though it was perhaps slightly hampered by the firearm tragedy described above, but one cannot have friendship without tragedy, Derrida might say, that tragedy being the eventual loss of a loved friend, such losses I know Stuart has weathered in the past year, which only go to reveal their own depth, the depths (of friendship, of loss) which we discuss, over tea, marvelling at how the friendship lives on, past death, past loss…) that I felt the need to include them here, now that I have indeed noticed the pattern, originally upon that evening, whereas if I hadn’t heard these two lines, which, according to the titles of these poems, have something to do with me, I may have never noticed it, a pattern that indeed established itself in work published by the aptly named “Proper Tales Press” the second properest tail, besides those published by said press, indeed by Stuart Ross himself, in my opinion, being that on the back of a dog, the wagging of which, signifies “hello!” or indeed, “hello, friend”, which “hello” alone, often signifies, the “friend” being implied, since one, in Canada at least, rarely “hellos” one’s enemy, or even a stranger. Perhaps you may raise your many dog eyebrows. So allow me, sufficiently hampered by digression, to sing in the direction of goodbye, a direction in which, to the relief of all, I may now take this essay.

Of Stuart, as the compellingly apt acronym for the coordinating conjunctions in English cheekily point out, yes, I am and will always be a fanboy. A constant state of admiration shuffles through my blogging heart. Stuart is the Stuart whom we all love (especially me). Hello!




Sarah Burgoyne is an experimental poet. In 2013, she published Happy Dog, Sad Dog with Proper Tales Press, and it was included in her first collection Saint Twin (Mansfield: 2016), a finalist for the A.M. Klein Prize in Poetry (2016), awarded a prize from l'Académie de la vie littéraire (2017) and shortlisted for a Canadian ReLit Award. Other works have appeared in journals across Canada and the U.S., have been featured in scores by American composer J.P. Merz and have appeared with or alongside the visual art of Susanna Barlow, Jamie Macaulay and Joani Tremblay. She currently lives and writes in Montreal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proper Tales Press 40th Anniversary Essay: Rebecca Fishow

In 2012, newly graduated from my MFA program, I left cold Syracuse, New York for colder Montreal. I didn’t have much of a plan, or a c...