Friday, August 9, 2019

Proper Tales Press 40th anniversary essay: Lillian Necakov


I first met Stuart Ross in 1978 at York University. He was the quirkiest, coolest person I had met and he was a writer! Incredible to have a friend who was so passionate about writing and self-publishing, which he introduced me to.

I had never really considered the possibility of creating my own books, let alone actually publishing them and selling them on the streets of Toronto. But thanks to Stuart and Proper Tales Press I was inspired to start my own micro-press called Surrealist Poets Gardening Association and to muster the courage to stand on Yonge street, with a sign around my neck and peddle books.

For me, the early 1980s was a magical time, we were all young and bursting with creativity, unwavering in our commitment to our art and we were doing what we loved. At the helm of it all, was Stu. He played a huge role in cultivating the small press community in Toronto. He was a force, he was, and still is, a huge influence on so many of us.

I remember spending many nights collating, assembling and stapling books at various kitchen tables with Stuart, Nick Power, Jim Smith and others. Often we were preparing books to sell at readings, on the street or at The Toronto Small Press Book Fair which Stuart and Nick started back in 1987. It was never about the money, always about getting our words into the hands of readers and we tried to do this by any means necessary.

I imagine Stuart at his kitchen table in Coburg, Ontario, still at it 40 years later. Doing what he loves, making books, imagining a world where anything is possible and anyone can be a “published writer”, anyone can “be ace, be trendy”.  And I hope he continues for another 40!

Thanks Stu, for everything you do and everything you stand for!

Over and out.



Lillian Necakov is the author of Hooligans and The Bone Broker (Mansfield Press), Hat Trick (Exile Editions), Polaroids (Coach House Books), The Lake Contains an Emergency Room (Apt. 9 Press,) and crunch (Proper Tales Press) along with several other titles. Her works have been published in Canada, the US, Europe and China. In the 1980s, Necakov used to sell her books on the streets of Toronto. These days she works at the Toronto Public Library and runs the Boneshaker Reading Series.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Proper Tales Press 40th Anniversary Essay: Rebecca Fishow

In 2012, newly graduated from my MFA program, I left cold Syracuse, New York for colder Montreal. I didn’t have much of a plan, or a c...