Monday, September 16, 2019

Proper Tales Press 40th anniversary essay: George Bowering


Who could not love Proper Tales?

Dear rob etc.

The first time I laid eyes on Stuart Ross was from the north shore of Slocan Lake.
Where a kayak hove into sight.
Wait, I murmured to myself, who is the gink with the curly white hair who is plying that double-headed paddle?
Can it be the Ontario poet who had to stop his car high in the west Kootenay highway because he realized
that he had been driving with his eyes closed by abject fear for 20 kilometers?
Sure enough. I watched the figure plying his craft across the lake, and I was filled with envy.
A sin, don’t you know?
Yep, this was the guy who made up the best book titles in Canadian poetry or fiction.
Hey, Crumbling Balcony.
Buying Cigarettes for the Dog.
His favourite living U.S. poet is Ron Padgett. Mine is, too.
His favourite late Canadian poet is David McFadden. Mine, too.
He edited a book of my poetry and a book about how I wrote my books, for a press that is not Proper Tales.
Now he and Proper Tales is getting ready to publish my story “David in Byzantium”.
Yes, it is about David McFadden.
It has a marvelous cover photo of David and me looking tough.
There is another picture of Stuart and me looking tough.
If that all isn’t love, what is?

GB



George Bowering’s 2018 books: Some End from New Star (poems); No One from ECW (fiction); plus He Speaks Volumes: A Biography of George Bowering by Rebecca Wigod (Talonbooks).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Proper Tales Press 40th Anniversary Essay: Rebecca Fishow

In 2012, newly graduated from my MFA program, I left cold Syracuse, New York for colder Montreal. I didn’t have much of a plan, or a c...