Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Proper Tales Press 40th anniversary essay: Lance La Rocque


Proper Tales in the Classroom

I first encountered Stuart Ross from a distance, in the late 1980s. He was standing on a busy sidewalk selling books. I was walking with Clint Burnham, who, knowing a lot about the Toronto Small Press scene, suddenly dashed across the street to meet him. I knew next to nothing about small presses or writers selling their wares on the street. Great writing existed solely in, say, the Norton Introduction to English Lit. Dumb, I know. Some weeks later I met Stuart again on the street. We spoke briefly and I bought some books. (I would soon discover Stuart’s enormous generosity to other writers, his founding of the Toronto Small Press fair, and tireless promotion of young writers.) What seems like a minor meeting on Yonge Street instigated a new understanding of art--where writing comes from, how it’s made, and circulates. It would not be too much to say that Stuart and Proper Tales Press helped shape how I approach books in the classroom. Since getting a job teaching introductory literature and experimental poetry, I regularly bring Proper Tales books, chapbooks, and zines into first year, upper level, and honours courses. I’ve continued to do it because nothing makes writing seem as vital and weirdly accessible (who can resist titles like Paralysis Beach, Mark Laba’s Movies in the Insect Factory, bunny baby, the child with magnificent ears, or language lessons with Simon and Marie!).  A surprising number of students, inspired by Stuart’s publications, made their own books, chapbooks, and zines. Many began writing for the first time or brought their writing out of hiding. Somehow these wonderful, inventive objects gave students permission to participate in literary culture…to make their own culture. And it’s made the classroom a lot more interesting.




Lance La Rocque lives in Wolfville, NS. with Lisa, Emily, and Max.

He has published in Hava LeHaba, Industrial Sabotage, and The Northern Testicle Review, and has a book of poetry, Vermin, by Book Thug.

He is the author of the Proper Tales Press title The Gross Metaphysics of Meat (2002).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Proper Tales Press 40th Anniversary Essay: Rebecca Fishow

In 2012, newly graduated from my MFA program, I left cold Syracuse, New York for colder Montreal. I didn’t have much of a plan, or a c...